How to move custom theme to live server?

Hello
I have a development setup (cloned from Github) installed. Have created a new custom theme, but are not sure how / what to do, to install this theme on my live server?

Before I try (and maybe mess up my live installation), what do I need to do? As I understand it, you need a Zip archive. So is it so simple that zip the folder for my theme („AliceKattgodisTheme“) and then import it in the live server (My extension > Upload extension)?

In the help docs there is a command „theme:dump“ but no explanation what is does. The file „build.sh“ says „DESCRIPTION: Builds the project for production“. Should I run this before zipping?

Sorry for all the newbe questions.

Magnus

You need to run the build-storefront.sh to get dist JavaScript and LESS/CSS code.

Then zip the folder and install it via upload under my extensions.

That is it!

Hey @Max_Shop
Thanks. But I’m not sure I understand it correct. I dont’t seems to have this file? :thinking:

I tried with
bin/console build-storefront.sh
But with an error „Command „build-storefront.sh“ is not defined.“ Should this work with Shopware 6?

Did run bin/console list but I can not see any command for building the theme.
I did a try with bundle:dump with an „OK Dumped plugin configuration.“. Where is this file saved?

Note: Inside public > theme there is a few folders with very long names, like „4fdb286fcbca2d5da637277f077fa5f1“. And inside are folders for assets, css and js…

I’m a little lost now and really miss this step in the official documentation.

It is a console (bash) command, but not a shopware console command!

These are files in bin folder.

./bin/build-storefront.sh or bin/build-storefront.sh

Sorry @Max_Shop, but I do not have this bash command in the bin folder.

I tried both variants, with the same error:
zsh: no such file or directory: bin/build-storefront.sh

(feeling so stupid now)

But, when I check the installation on the live server (hosted), the file is there :slightly_smiling_face: A little strange in my opinion. I will copy this file to my local setup and give a new try. Where will the files be saved?

Sidenote: See the attached file what files I have in bin.

The mentioned .sh files are not included in the development template (your screenshot). But they are included in the production template (your server).

In the development template use ./psh.phar storefront:build

The generated files will be in Ressources\app\storefront\dist …

Confused about development and production… look for example at Add custom Javascript - Shopware Developer
The two different commands are mentioned there.

Thanks @Max_Shop :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:
Now I got a successful output in the Terminal. But I’m still confused where the files are saved. I do not have a „Resources“ folder in the root („development“).

The name of the theme is „AliceKattgodisTheme“ and I have search for it, but the only one is the one I created in the start (for development). Did a search for „dist“ but the result is mostly node_modules (a lot of them!).

In the end of the Terminal output is this line:
Compiling theme for sales channel for : e4632373af02438eacca414037f6b77b

There is a zip file with this name at: ./public/theme/sitemap/saleschannel-e4632…/
Is this the zipfile to install on the live server (it contains only a XML file)?

Best, Magnus

Plugins and Themes (these are plugins, too) are saved in custom folder…

What happens after build-storefront.sh etc.: new files are created, for example in: custom/plugins/your plugin name/src/Resources/app/storefront/dist

But that is not really important. What you have to do:

zip the your plugin name folder and install it via the backend.

1 „Gefällt mir“

Thank you. For all the help and patience with my basic questions. :relaxed:

1 „Gefällt mir“

I’m so close now! :laughing:
I zipped the folder and tried to upload (My extensions > Themes). But, I get the error:
Unable to extract ZIP file.

Checked the server and PHP Zip extension is active. Can the error be that the zip file is created with the built in compression of Mac OS?

„built in compression of Mac OS“ … no, no, no :crazy_face:

I like(d) Apple, still their software sometimes is a mess.

I personally can recommend Keka - the macOS file archiver

1 „Gefällt mir“

You (and Keka) solved the issue.
(I still love Apple - since the good old SE30 days) :sweat_smile:

The new theme is activated :hugs:

1 „Gefällt mir“